Syrian Rue or harmal seeds, also known as Syrian rue seeds, are the seeds of the peganum harmal plant, a perennial shrub native to the Middle East and parts of Asia and North Africa. The seeds and plant have a long history of use in folk medicine and spiritual practices.
• Syrian Rue or harmal seeds have been used in traditional Persian, Middle Eastern, and South Asian medicine for over 2000 years.
• The seeds were also used in ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Greece as a dye for textiles and hair due to the bright yellow color of their alkaloids. • The seeds have a long history of use in spiritual and religious rituals due to their psychoactive effects. They were used by Zoroastrians in Persia and continue to be used in some shamanic and spiritual practices today.
Uses and Benefits:
• Peganum harmal seeds are used in traditional medicine as an anti-spasmodic, anti-bacterial, and anti-parasitic agent. They are used to treat a variety of conditions like asthma, hypertension, diabetes, and menstrual cramps.
• The main active compounds are harmine, harmaline, and tetrahydroharmine which have psychoactive and medicinal effects. In low doses, these harmala alkaloids are MAO inhibitors which have stimulating and anti-depressant effects.
• The seeds have been used for their spiritual and psychedelic effects to induce altered states of consciousness, facilitate vivid dreaming, and for shamanic journeying.
• In high doses, the harmala alkaloids can cause nausea, vomiting, and dangerously high blood pressure. Interactions with some foods and drugs can also be dangerous.
• The sedative and psychoactive effects may impair motor function and cognition. Driving or working large equipment ought to be stayed away from.
• Peganum harmal seeds and extracts are illegal in some countries due to the psychoactivity and possibility of misuse. Legal restrictions exist in parts of Europe, the US, Canada, and Australia.
In conclusion, peganum (Syria rue Seeds) have a long history of medicinal and spiritual use, but also have potentially dangerous side effects, especially if misused. Proper research and guidance is recommended before using this plant. When used carefully and responsibly, harmal seeds can have benefits for both the body and the mind. Read more….
Comment below if you’ve any suggestion….